Friday, May 22, 2009

One Year Post Grad

As spring fades and summer heats up I realize it has been exactly one year since I graduated from college. Last May I was a proud graduate of Adelphi University with a Bachelor’s Degree and barely a clue of my future. Like many graduates I packed up my dorm room and headed back to my hometown to figure out my next move. But after I unpacked the last four years of my life and settled into my parents’ house I realized that after four years away from home the last place I wanted to be was there.

So with an updated cover letter and resume I hit the career websites. After about a week of in-person interviews and countless emails correspondence, I realized it wasn’t necessarily the jobs I wasn’t interested in, it was the location. A small town in New Jersey is no place for a girl with big PR dreams and New York is where I wanted to be. Luckily I had met a really great mentor and friend while interning in college who saw my potential and began to make calls on my behalf. Within a few days she gave me  JS² Communications’ contact information and I emailed Alissa. After a short phone interview I was offered a paid internship for two days a week and I took it! 

The following Monday I arrived at JS² Communications’ New York office and dove right into work. What happened next is completely a ‘right place, right time’ situation – on my second day at JS² I was offered a full time internship with the possibility of becoming a full time employee! I definitely hit the internship/career jackpot on that one. By August I was a full time Account Coordinator and almost one year later I’m an Assistant Account Executive.

Of course not all career beginnings are as successful but I’d like to think there is just as much hope and opportunity for the Class of 2009. The key to finding and making a career is to be driven and never give up. It may take weeks or even months after graduation before landing the perfect opportunity, but I promise it is worth it. In my case I took a chance with a part-time internship in my desired field, hoping that it would turn into something more.

Currently at JS² Communications we have two fabulous interns with a world of potential; Jennifer Rodstrom in the New York office and Sheri Holt in the Los Angeles office.

Congratulations to the Class of 2009! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Information. That sounds great. Really helpful thanks for the Article, Great job, hope we can expect more articles like this. All the Best
Thanks
New york Defensive driving